Chung Shue (Calvin) Chen
Prior to joining Bell Labs, he worked at INRIA, in the research group on Network Theory & Communications (TREC, INRIA-ENS). He was an ERCIM Alain Bensoussan Fellow at the Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU, Department of Electronics & Telecommunications) and the National Center for Mathematics & Computer Science (CWI, Amsterdam). He was an Assistant Professor at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). He worked at CNRS in Lorraine on Real-Time & Embedded Systems.
Calvin has served as TPC in international conferences including ICC, Globecom, WCNC, PIMRC, VTC, CCNC and WiOpt (TPC Vice Chair). He is an Editor of European Trans. on Telecommunications (ETT) and an Associate Editor of Telecommunication Systems (Springer). He is an IEEE Senior Member. His research spans a wide range of topics in optimization, information & communications, 6G, IoT, complex network, resource allocation & scheduling problem, intelligent system, and learning algorithm. Thanks to KS, his Erdos number is 3.
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (DMTS), Bell Labs
- IEEE Senior Member (SMIEEE)
- ERCIM “Alain Bensoussan” Fellowship, European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics
- ACM MobiCom S3 Workshop (2015) Best Paper Award
ICUFN (2022) Excellent Paper Award
- IEEE/SPIE OGC (2023) Best Paper Award
- Optoelectronic Technology Innovation Award (2023)
IEEE ComSoc Prize for Internship Research Program (Mentor)
- Finalist and Outstanding Innovation Award of Bell Labs Global Internship Presentation Event (Mentor)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship
- Yu To Sang Memorial Scholarship
- Sciences Po (www.sciencespo.fr)
- University Paris-Saclay (www.universite-paris-saclay.fr)
- CNAM (Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, www.cnam.fr)
- CUHK (The Chinese University of Hong Kong, www.cuhk.edu.hk)
- HKU SPACE (School of Professional & Continuing Education, hkuspace.hku.hk)
A) Resource Allocation and Optimization
- M. Zhang, Y. Guo, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Proportional Fair Scheduling for Downlink mmWave Multi-User MISO-NOMA Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2022.
- Y. Fu, M. Zhang, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Zero-forcing Oriented Power Minimization for Multi-cell MISO-NOMA Systems: A Joint User Grouping, Beamforming and Power Control Perspective,” IEEE JSAC, 2020.
- L. Salaun, M. Coupechoux, and C. S. Chen, “Joint Subcarrier and Power Allocation in NOMA: Optimal and Approximate Algorithms,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing (TSP), 2020. [Source Code]
- Y. Liu, C. S. Chen, C. W. Sung, and C. Singh, “A game theoretic distributed algorithm for FeICIC optimization in LTE-A HetNets,” IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking (TON), 2017. [Source Code]
B) Machine Learning and AI
- C. Adjih, C. S. Chen, C. S. Gobin, and I. Hmedoush, “Designing Medium Access Control Protocol Sequence Through Deep Reinforcement Learning,” Preprint, 2023.
- C. Fernandez, C. S. Chen, P. Gaillard, and A. Silva, “Experimental Comparison of Ensemble Methods and Time-to-Event Analysis Models Through Integrated Brier Score and Concordance Index,” Preprint, 2023.
- L. Salaun, H. Yang, S. Mishra, and C. S. Chen, “A GNN Approach for Cell-Free Massive MIMO,” IEEE Globecom, 2022.
- Y. Li, X. Su, H. Jiang, and C. S. Chen, “Throughput Maximization for Wireless Powered Communication: Reinforcement Learning Approaches,” IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2021.
C) Wireless IoT and MTC
- S. Mishra, L. Salaun, J.-M. Gorce, and C. S. Chen, “Connection Throughput Maximization for Grant Based Massive IoT with Graph Matching,” IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom), 2023.
- C. Dumas, L. Salaun, I. Hmedoush, C. Adjih, and C. S. Chen, “Design of Coded Slotted ALOHA with Interference Cancellation Errors,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2021.
- S. Mishra, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Downlink Connection Density Maximization for NB-IoT Networks Using NOMA with Perfect and Partial CSI,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT), 2021.
- Y. Li, C. S. Chen, Y.-Q. Song, Z. Wang, and Y. Sun, “Enhancing real-time delivery for wireless sensor networks with two-hop information,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics (TII), 2009.
D) Indoor Network, Device and Localization
- S.-W. Ho and C. S. Chen, “Visible Light Communication Based Positioning using Color Sensor,” IEEE/SPIE Optoelectronics Global Conference (OGC), 2023.
- S.-W. Ho, A. A. Saed, J.-M. Gorce, and C. S. Chen, “Sinusoidal-Based Multiple Access Scheme for Visible Light Decentralized Asynchronous Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2022.
- T. Rexhausen, C. S. Chen, and F. Pianese, “Indoor Localization Using Multi-Color Fingerprinting,” IEEE Healthcom, 2020.
- T. D. Huyng, C. S. Chen, and S.-W. Ho, “Localization Method for Device-to-Device through User Movement,” IEEE ICC, Workshop on Advances in Network Localization & Navigation (ANLN), 2015.
- A. Nuwanpriya, S.-W. Ho, and C. S. Chen, “Indoor MIMO Visible Light Communications: Novel Angle Diversity Receivers for Mobile Users,” IEEE JSAC, 2015.
E) MAC and Protocol Sequence
- F. Liu, W. S. Wong, Y.-H. Lo, Y. Zhang, C. S. Chen, and G. Xing, “Age of Information for Periodic Status Updates under Sequence Based Scheduling,” IEEE Trans. on Communications (TCOM), 2023.
- L. Salaun, C. S. Chen, Y. Chen, and W. S. Wong, “Constant Delivery Delay Protocol Sequences for the Collision Channel Without Feedback,” The 19th International Symp. on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC), 2016.
- K. Shum, C. S. Chen, C. W. Sung, and W. S. Wong, “Shift-Invariant Protocol Sequences for the Collision Channel Without Feedback,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory (TIT), 2009.
- C. S. Chen, W. S. Wong, and Y.-Q. Song, “Constructions of Robust Protocol Sequences for Wireless Sensor and Ad Hoc Networks,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2008.
- C. S. Chen and W. S. Wong, “Bandwidth Allocation for Wireless Multimedia Systems with Most Regular Sequences,” IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications (TWC), 2005.
F) SON and Distributed Algorithm
- J. A. Zhang, I. B. Collings, C. S. Chen, L. Roullet, L. Luo, S.-W. Ho, and J. Yuan, “Evolving Small Cell Communications Towards Mobile-over-FTTx Networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, 2013.
- I-H. Hou and C. S. Chen, “An Energy-Aware Protocol for Self-Organizing Heterogeneous LTE Systems,” IEEE JSAC, 2013.
- C. S. Chen and F. Baccelli, “Gibbsian Method for the Self-Optimization of Cellular Networks,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications & Networking, 2012.
- C. S. Chen and F. Baccelli, “Self-Optimization in Mobile Cellular Networks: Power Control and User Association,” IEEE ICC, 2010.
G) System Modeling and Performance Evaluation
- S. Li, M. Derakhshani, C. S. Chen, and S. Lambotharan, “Outage Probability Analysis for Two-antennas MISO-NOMA Downlink with Statistical CSI,” IEEE Globecom, 2019.
- V. M. Nguyen, C. S. Chen, and L. Thomas, “A Unified Stochastic Model of Handover Measurement in Mobile Networks,” IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking (TON), 2013.
- J. Ling, D. Chizhik, C. S. Chen, and R. Valenzuela, “Capacity Growth of Heterogeneous Cellular Networks,” Bell Labs Technical Journal, 2013.
- C. S. Chen, V. M. Nguyen, and L. Thomas, “On Small Cell Network Deployment: A Comparative Study of Random and Grid Topologies,” IEEE VTC, 2012.
- NEW: There are multiple openings for PhD and postdoc in distributed machine learning and federated learning. Three of them will be under the Nokia-Bell-Labs-Inria joint lab partnership, posted at https://team.inria.fr/neo/job-offers/ Welcome to contact me or at Giovanni Neglia (INRIA) for inquiry.
- Internship: “Machine Learning for Enhanced Mobile User Positioning in 5G and Beyond”, 2023
- Internship: “ML and AI Empowered Communications for IIoT and B5G”, 2022
- Internship: “Visible Light Based Localization Method”, 2022
- Cifre: “Advanced Self-Optimization Solutions for Next Generation Cellular Networks”
- Internship: “NOMA Resource Allocation for Massive Machine Type Communications”
- Internship: “Energy Efficient 5G-6G MISO-NOMA Schemes”
- Internship: “Design of 5G NOMA Optimization Method and Algorithms”
- Internship: “Predictive Control, Learning and Analysis for Large Mobile Networks”
- If you are interested to pursuit an internship, PhD or Postdoc programme at Bell Labs, welcome to email me and express your motivations and research interests, with a short Application Letter and a copy of Full CV (welcome to include a list of your work and publications when suitable).