Chung Shue (Calvin) Chen
Prior to joining Bell Labs, he worked at INRIA, in the research group on Network Theory & Communications (TREC, INRIA-ENS). He was an ERCIM Alain Bensoussan Fellow at the Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU, Department of Electronics & Telecommunications) and the National Center for Mathematics & Computer Science (CWI, Amsterdam). He was an Assistant Professor at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). He worked at CNRS in Lorraine on Real-Time & Embedded Systems.
Calvin has served as TPC in international conferences including ICC, Globecom, WCNC, PIMRC, VTC, CCNC and WiOpt (TPC Vice Chair). He is an Editor of European Trans. on Telecommunications (ETT) and an Associate Editor of IEEE Access. He is an IEEE Senior Member. His research spans a wide range of topics in optimization, information & communications, algorithms, 5G/IoT, complex networks, resource allocation, learning, and intelligent systems. Thanks to KS, his Erdos number is 3.
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (DMTS), Bell Labs
- IEEE Senior Member (SMIEEE)
- ERCIM “Alain Bensoussan” Fellowship, European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics
- ACM MobiCom S3 Workshop Best Paper Award
- IEEE ComSoc Prize for Internship Research Program (Mentor)
- Finalist and Outstanding Innovation Award of Bell Labs Global Internship Presentation Event (Mentor)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship
- Yu To Sang Memorial Scholarship
- Sciences Po (www.sciencespo.fr)
- University Paris-Saclay (www.universite-paris-saclay.fr)
- CNAM (Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, www.cnam.fr)
- CUHK (The Chinese University of Hong Kong, www.cuhk.edu.hk)
- HKU SPACE (School of Professional & Continuing Education, hkuspace.hku.hk)
A) Wireless Networks and Optimization
- Y. Fu, M. Zhang, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Zero-forcing Oriented Power Minimization for Multi-cell MISO-NOMA Systems: A Joint User Grouping, Beamforming and Power Control Perspective,” IEEE JSAC, 2020.
- L. Salaun, M. Coupechoux, and C. S. Chen, “Joint Subcarrier and Power Allocation in NOMA: Optimal and Approximate Algorithms,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing (TSP), 2020. [Source code available for download]
- Y. Fu, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Subcarrier and Power Allocation for the Downlink of Multicarrier NOMA Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2018.
- Y. Liu, C. S. Chen, C. W. Sung, and C. Singh, “A game theoretic distributed algorithm for FeICIC optimization in LTE-A HetNets,” IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking (TON), 2017. [Source code available for download]
B) IIoT and Sensor Networks
- S. Mishra, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Downlink Connection Density Maximization for NB-IoT Networks Using NOMA with Perfect and Partial CSI,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT), 2021.
- Y. Li, C. S. Chen, and W. S. Wong, “Power Control for Multi-sensor Remote State Estimation over Interference Channel,” Elsevier Systems and Control Letters, 2019.
- Y. Li, C. S. Chen, Y.-Q. Song, Z. Wang, and Y. Sun, “Enhancing real-time delivery for wireless sensor networks with two-hop information,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics (TII), 2009.
- C. S. Chen, Y. Li, and Y.-Q. Song, “An exploration of geographic routing with k-hop based searching in wireless sensor networks,” in Proc. ChinaCom, 2008.
C) Indoor Networks and Localization
- T. Rexhausen, C. S. Chen, and F. Pianese, “Indoor Localization Using Multi-Color Fingerprinting,” IEEE International Conference on E-health Networking, Application & Services (Healthcom), 2020.
- T. D. Huyng, C. S. Chen, and S.-W. Ho, “Localization Method for Device-to-Device through User Movement,” IEEE ICC, Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN), 2015.
- A. Nuwanpriya, S.-W. Ho, and C. S. Chen, “Indoor MIMO visible light communications: novel angle diversity receivers for mobile users,” IEEE JSAC, 2015.
- S.-W. Ho, J. Duan, and C. S. Chen, “Location-based information transmission systems using visible light communications,” European Trans. on Telecommunications (ETT), 2015.
D) Protocol Sequence and MAC
- L. Salaun, C. S. Chen, Y. Chen, and W. S. Wong, “Constant Delivery Delay Protocol Sequences for the Collision Channel Without Feedback,” The 19th International Symp. on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC), 2016.
- K. Shum, C. S. Chen, C. W. Sung, and W. S. Wong, “Shift-invariant protocol sequences for the collision channel without feedback,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory (TIT), 2009.
- C. S. Chen, W. S. Wong, and Y.-Q. Song, “Constructions of robust protocol sequences for wireless sensor and ad hoc networks,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2008.
- C. S. Chen and W. S. Wong, “Bandwidth allocation for wireless multimedia systems with most regular sequences,” IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications (TWC), 2005.
E) Small Cell and Self-X
- J. A. Zhang, I. B. Collings, C. S. Chen, L. Roullet, L. Luo, S.-W. Ho, and J. Yuan, “Evolving small cell communications towards mobile-over-FTTx networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, 2013.
- I-H. Hou and C. S. Chen, “An energy-aware protocol for self-organizing heterogeneous LTE systems,” IEEE JSAC, 2013.
- C. S. Chen and F. Baccelli, “Gibbsian method for the self-optimization of cellular networks,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2012.
- C. S. Chen and F. Baccelli, “Self-optimization in mobile cellular networks: power control and user association,” in Proc. IEEE ICC, 2010.
F) System Models and Performance Evaluation
- S. Li, M. Derakhshani, C. S. Chen, and S. Lambotharan, “Outage Probability Analysis for Two-antennas MISO-NOMA Downlink with Statistical CSI,” IEEE Globecom, 2019.
- V. M. Nguyen, C. S. Chen, and L. Thomas, “A unified stochastic model of handover measurement in mobile networks,” IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking (TON), 2013.
- J. Ling, D. Chizhik, C. S. Chen, and R. Valenzuela, “Capacity growth of heterogeneous cellular networks,” Bell Labs Technical Journal, 2013.
- C. S. Chen, V. M. Nguyen, and L. Thomas, “On small cell network deployment: a comparative study of random and grid topologies,” in Proc. IEEE VTC, 2012.
- Internship: “Visible Light Based Localization Method”, 2020 [PDF]
- Cifre position: “Advanced Self-Optimization Solutions for Next Generation Cellular Networks”, 2020 (PDF)
- Internship: “NOMA Resource Allocation for Massive Machine Type Communications”, 2019 [PDF]
- Internship: “Energy Efficient 5G-6G MISO-NOMA Schemes”, 2018 [PDF]
- Internship: “Design of 5G NOMA Optimization Method and Algorithms”, 2018 [PDF]
- Internship: “Predictive Control, Learning and Analysis for Large Mobile Networks”, 2017 [PDF]
- If you are interested to pursuit an internship, PhD or postdoc study at Bell Labs, welcome to email me and express your motivations and research interests, including a short application Letter and a copy of full CV (welcome to include a list of your work or publications when suitable).