Chung Shue (Calvin) Chen
Calvin received his B.Eng., M.Phil., and Ph.D. degrees in Information Engineering from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Prior to joining Bell Labs, he worked at INRIA, in the research group on Network Theory & Communications (TREC, INRIA-ENS). He was an ERCIM Alain Bensoussan Fellow at the Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU, Department of Electronics & Telecommunications) and the National Center for Mathematics & Computer Science (CWI, Amsterdam). He was an Assistant Professor at CUHK. He worked at CNRS in Lorraine on Real-Time & Embedded Systems.
Calvin has served as TPC in international conferences including ICC, Globecom, WCNC, PIMRC, VTC, CCNC and WiOpt (TPC Vice Chair). He is an Editor of European Trans. on Telecommunications (ETT) and an Associate Editor of IEEE Access. He is an IEEE Senior Member. His research spans a wide range of topics in optimization, information & communication sciences, algorithms, 5G/IoT, complex networks, resource allocation, learning, and intelligent systems. Thanks to KS, his Erdos number is 3.
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (DMTS), Nokia Bell Labs
- IEEE Senior Member
- ERCIM “Alain Bensoussan” Fellowship, European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics
- ACM MobiCom S3 Workshop Best Paper Award
- IEEE ComSoc Prize for Internship Research Program (Mentor)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship
- Yu To Sang Memorial Scholarship
- Sciences Po (www.sciencespo.fr)
- University Paris-Saclay (www.universite-paris-saclay.fr)
- CNAM (Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, www.cnam.fr)
- CUHK (The Chinese University of Hong Kong, www.cuhk.edu.hk)
- HKU SPACE (School of Professional & Continuing Education, hkuspace.hku.hk)
- L. Salaun, M. Coupechoux, and C. S. Chen, “Weighted Sum-Rate Maximization in Multi-Carrier NOMA with Cellular Power Constraint,” IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), 2019.
- Y. Li, Y. Chen, C. S. Chen, Z. Wang, and Y.-H. Zhu, “Simultaneous Sensor Placement and Scheduling for Fusion-Based Detection in RF-Powered Sensor Networks,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT), 2019.
- L. Salaun, C. S. Chen, and M. Coupechoux, “Optimal joint subcarrier and power allocation in NOMA is strongly NP-hard,” IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2018.
- Y. Li, C. S. Chen, and W. S. Wong, “Power Control for Multi-sensor Remote State Estimation over Interference Channel,” Elsevier Systems and Control Letters, 2019.
- Y. Fu, L. Salaun, C. W. Sung, and C. S. Chen, “Subcarrier and Power Allocation for the Downlink of Multicarrier NOMA Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2018.
- Y. Li, Y. Chen, C. S. Chen, Z. Wang, and Y.-H. Zhu, “Charging While Moving: Deploying Wireless Chargers for Powering Wearable Devices,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2018.
- Y. Li, C. S. Chen, K. Chi, and J. Zhang, “Towards two-tiered relay node placement for WSN-based senior home monitoring,” Springer Journal on Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications (P2PNA), 2018.
- Y. Liu, C. S. Chen, C. W. Sung, and C. Singh, “A game theoretic distributed algorithm for FeICIC optimization in LTE-A HetNets,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), 2017.
- D. Boviz, C. S. Chen, and S. Yang, “Effective design of multi-user reception and fronthaul rate allocation in 5G Cloud-RAN,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), 2017.
- N. Trabelsi, C. S. Chen, L. Roullet, E. Altman, and R. El Azouzi, “User Association and Resource Allocation Optimization in LTE Cellular Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management (TNSM), 2017.
- A. Nuwanpriya, S.-W. Ho, and C. S. Chen, “Indoor MIMO visible light communications: novel angle diversity receivers for mobile users,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), 2015.
- S.-W. Ho, J. Duan, and C. S. Chen, “Location-based information transmission systems using visible light communications,” Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies (ETT), 2015.
- V. M. Nguyen, C. S. Chen, and L. Thomas, “A unified stochastic model of handover measurement in mobile networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), 2013.
- I-H. Hou and C. S. Chen, “An energy-aware protocol for self-organizing heterogeneous LTE systems,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), 2013.
- J. A. Zhang, I. B. Collings, C. S. Chen, L. Roullet, L. Luo, S.-W. Ho, and J. Yuan, “Evolving small cell communications towards mobile-over-FTTx networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, 2013.
- J. Ling, D. Chizhik, C. S. Chen, and R. Valenzuela, “Capacity growth of heterogeneous cellular networks,” Bell Labs Technical Journal, 2013.
- C. S. Chen and F. Baccelli, “Gibbsian method for the self-optimization of cellular networks,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2012.
- C. S. Chen, K. S. Shum, and C. W. Sung, “Round-robin power control for the weighted sum rate maximization of wireless networks over multiple interfering links,” European Transactions on Telecommunications (ETT), 2011.
- K. Shum, W. S. Wong, and C. S. Chen, “A general upper bound on the size of constant-weight conflict-avoiding codes,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2010.
- V. M. Nguyen, F. Baccelli, L. Thomas, and C. S. Chen, “Best signal quality in cellular networks: asymptotic properties and applications to mobility management in small cell networks,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2010.
- Y. Li, C. S. Chen, Y.-Q. Song, Z. Wang, and Y. Sun, “Enhancing real-time delivery for wireless sensor networks with two-hop information,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics (TII), 2009.
- K. Shum, C. S. Chen, C. W. Sung, and W. S. Wong, “Shift-invariant protocol sequences for the collision channel without feedback,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory (TIT), 2009.
- C. S. Chen, W. S. Wong, and Y.-Q. Song, “Constructions of robust protocol sequences for wireless sensor and ad hoc networks,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2008.
- H. Zhang, C. S. Chen, and W. S. Wong, “Distributed power control for time-varying systems: performance and convergence analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology (TVT), 2005.
- C. S. Chen and W. S. Wong, “Bandwidth allocation for wireless multimedia systems with most regular sequences,” IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications (TWC), 2005.
- Open Cifre position (2020): PhD position on “Advanced Self-Optimization Solutions for Next Generation Cellular Networks” (see PDF here)
- If you are interested to pursuit an internship, PhD or postdoc study at Bell Labs, welcome to email me and express your motivations and research interests, including a short application Letter and a copy of full CV (welcome to include a list of your work or publications when suitable).
- Internship (2019): NOMA Resource Allocation for Massive Machine Type Communications [PDF]
- Internship (2018): Energy efficient 5G-6G MISO-NOMA schemes [PDF]
- Internship (2018): Design of 5G NOMA Optimization Method and Algorithms [PDF]
- Internship (2017): Predictive Control, Learning and Analysis for Large Mobile Networks [PDF]